If the clean light of your KitchenAid dishwasher blinks, it can notify several things. The hint depends on how many times it flashes.
The clean light on the KitchenAid dishwasher usually blinks due to water heating failure. Moreover, it can happen because of a motor connection problem, insufficient water supply, or the self-cleaning cycle interruption.
In this blog post, we will go through each type of blinking pattern and analyze their clues and fixes.
KitchenAid’s “clean light” Blinking patterns and their meaning
Check out the following table to understand different type of flashing and their indications at a glance.
|“Clean light” blinking patterns||What does it mean?|
|Blinking 2 times||The buttons/pads on your control panel are stuck, or the control panel is faulty.|
|Blinking 3/7 times or keeps flashing||A water heating failure. The dishwasher fails to heat the water at the assigned time.|
|Blinking 4 times||The motor is suffering from a connection issue.|
|Flashing 4, then 8 times||A problem with the dishwasher’s water supply or the drainage system.|
|Blinking 6 times||A “general problem” which is unidentified.|
|Blinking 9 times||An interruption in the self-cleaning cycle.|
Troubleshooting the KitchenAid dishwasher “Clean light” blinking
Here, we will explain each type of “clean light” blinking pattern in-depth and their quick fixes.
a. “Clean light” blinks 2 times on KitchenAid dishwasher
Blinking the “clean light” two times on the dishwasher usually signals two issues. Perhaps any button has been stuck, or the control panel is malfunctioning.
How to fix:
- If the light is flashing for a malfunctioning control panel, keep the dishwasher unplugged for a few minutes and then re-plug it. This process will restore the control board’s default mode and clear the error code.
- Notice the buttons or pads on the dishwasher’s control panel. Ensure that no of them are stuck or damaged. If they do, replace them soon.
b. “Clean light” blinks 3/7 times or keeps flashing on the KitchenAid dishwasher:
If the KitchenAid dishwasher has a water heating failure, its “clean light” can blink 3 or 7 times or keep flickering, depending on the model. The light flashes in the pattern when the dishwasher cannot heat water in the assigned time.
How to fix:
- Resetting is the most immediate fix for the issue. Press the “High Temp Wash” + “Heated Dry” buttons four times and then the “High Temp Wash” button once.
- Wait for the lights to remain steady. Then press the “Cancel/Drain” button. Also, run hot water at the sink.
- Finally, switch off the dishwasher, choose a wash cycle, and press the “Start” button to complete the process.
- If it does not work, the heating element might be faulty and need replacement.
c. “Clean light” blinks 4 times on KitchenAid dishwasher:
Four-time blinking of the “clean light” indicates that the dishwasher has a motor power issue. It suggests the motor is not getting the required power for proper operation.
How to fix:
- Ensure that the motor’s power connection is secure. If you notice a loose connection or damage to the wiring, you must reconnect or rewire it.
- If the motor is damaged, you must replace it with a new one.
- Sometimes, system glitches can cause the light to blink. You can switch off the breaker and wait 2-3 minutes to reset the dishwasher’s default mode.
d. “Clean light” blinks 4 and then 8 times on the KitchenAid dishwasher:
If your KitchenAid dishwasher’s “clean light” flickers 4 and then 8 times, the signal points that the machine is suffering from inadequate water supply and the draining system is not working. This issue can affect the machine’s washing and cleaning performance.
How to fix:
- Check whether the dishwasher’s draining system and pump are clogged. If yes, clean or replace them with the recommended method.
- Inspect the float in the dishwasher’s bottom. If it seems stuck, free it gently and allow proper drainage.
e. “Clean light” blinks 6 times on the KitchenAid dishwasher
This blinking pattern indicates that your dishwasher has a general problem. It can be confusing sometimes because the machine has recognized the problem without specifying the actual reason. Therefore, you should check several things and apply multiple methods to fix them.
How to fix:
- Ensure that the dishwasher’s display is working correctly. If you notice it does not work, press the control panel’s buttons to reactivate it.
- Also, check the control board of the machine. You may notice blinking lights specifying the board is not functioning.
- If the board is not transmitting power to the dishwasher, replacement is the only option.
- Open and re-close the door securely. A loose door is a common reason for flickering the “clean light.”
- Unplug the dishwasher for 10 to 15 minutes to restore each component’s default condition.
f. “Clean light” blinks 9 times on the KitchenAid dishwasher
Nine times blinking is relevant to the dishwasher’s self-cleaning cycle. The machine can flash the “clean light” in the pattern if the cleaning cycle is interrupted. This problem usually occurs due to power loss or opening the dishwasher when the cleaning cycle is active.
How to fix:
- Restarting the self-cleaning cycle should fix the issue. Hold the “Start” button for 3 seconds to reactivate the process.
- Ensure that the water line has no damage or blockage. Also, check whether the water supply and siphoning are steady.
- Restart the dishwasher to reach the machine’s default mode.
- Unplug and replug the dishwasher to fix the control board malfunctioning caused by a power surge.
When Should You Go To A Technician?
DIY fixing is completely fine for the above issues. But, these home fixes may not work if your KitchenAid dishwasher has complicated issues. When experiencing such a situation, you must go to a skilled technician.
Dishwashers often cause trouble due to faulty heating elements, wiring issues, and defective control boards. These problems need precise diagnosis and repair. When it is out of your skill and knowledge, contact KitchenAid customer support or a professional to detect the problem and fix it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does the “clean light blinking” mean?
It is a warning signal displayed by the KitchenAid dishwasher. Such blinking has different patterns that signify particular issues.
2. Can the “clean light” blink if the dishwasher’s door is opened?
Yes. If the door is open during the cleaning cycle, the dishwasher detects it as a problem and warns you by flashing the clean light.
3. Is it possible to fix these issues at home?
Problems from the user end and minor technical issues can be fixed at home. However, major problems are complex to fix at home.
Finally, we knew that the “clean light” blinking has different patterns, and each signals different issues. In most cases, those problems are not very complex. By following the user manual or with basic technical knowledge, you can quickly fix them at home. Sometimes, the above troubleshooting may not work. It is a warning sign that the dishwasher has a major internal issue. You should get a technician’s help immediately in such a situation.