A few days ago when we noticed our glass jar shattered into pieces in the dishwasher, we freaked out badly. Thoughts like swallowing pieces of the shattered glass jar were terrifying.
So, we researched about glass broke in dishwasher can’t find pieces. The most useful solution was to vacuum or sweep the dishwasher and drain it to clean it all out. Also, we had to inspect the areas so we leave no leftover pieces of glass.
However, after falling into the problem, we found further solutions that might come in handy for you as well. Let’s get into it!
Glass Broke In Dishwasher Can’t Find Pieces: Steps To Take
If you don’t take care of the shattered glasses left inside the dishwasher immediately, there’s a high possibility those will get mixed with your other appliances. It leaves a serious health hazard, and your dishwasher may even fail to operate.
So, if you fell into such an irritating problem when a glass has shattered inside your dishwasher, here are a few things you can do:
Step-1: Consider Your Safety First
Broken glass pieces can easily hurt you and cut your hands if you use bare hands to inspect. You must wear a pair of sturdy gloves before you try to inspect how bad the condition is there.
Step-2: Unplug The Dishwasher
To prevent yourself from getting electrified, you need to turn the dishwasher off and unplug it from the power source.
Step-3: Remove Big Pieces
The technique that we will share will be troublesome to clean larger pieces. So, you need to use your hands to clean them. Try to get as many loose, large pieces as you can by using your hands. You can use tongs or pliers if using your hands doesn’t feel safe.
Step-4: Thoroughly Inspect
After removing the large pieces, you need to check the inside of your dishwasher to know if there is any large piece left or not. Besides, check which areas need your attention for further cleaning.
Step-5: Vacuum Or Sweep
Now you have to deal with the loose and small pieces of glass. Some might be too hard to even see. So take your vacuum cleaner with a big hose so you can collect all the pieces. After that, use a damp, heavy towel to sweep the area.
An addition can be to use potato pieces to collect all the glasses into it. You can cut potatoes into small pieces and use them to collect the glass particles.
Step-6: Run An Empty Cycle
To be extra careful so no glass articles remain in there, you need to run an empty cycle in the dishwasher. You have to use clean water and run a short cycle that won’t require any detergents.
Why Does Glass Break In The Dishwasher?
Even if you remain super careful, there are some things that you can’t control. There are several reasons why glasses break in the dishwasher, some of them are:
- Thermal shock: Too much heat or cold can cause a thermal shock in the glasses. Therefore, they may break due to this. Besides, if you put your glasses directly in the dishwasher right after removing them from the oven, the temperature difference will result in cracking or breaking.
- Mechanical Stress: High water pressure or overloaded dishes can pressure the glasses. As a result, your glass appliances may break due to the stress. Sometimes, coming in contact with the dishwasher’s inner component also causes breakage.
- Overloading: There is a proper way of loading dishes inside the dishwasher. When you keep the glasses too close to one another, this increases the risk of breakage. Sometimes, overloading inside may also cause the glasses to trip over and break.
- Existing Wear: If your glassware is already damaged or cracked, you can’t put them in the dishwasher. If you do, they will be more prone to breakage. Besides, when the temper is gone, a dishwasher can easily shatter a glass.
Will Broken Glass Ruin A Dishwasher?
The first time this occurred in our dishwasher, we went through a lot of trouble. We didn’t pay any attention to the situation and carried on with cleaning the dishes. This big mistake cost us over $300 as the particles burnt the motor.
So, if you don’t want to make a fool of yourself, just clean the remaining glass before you use your dishwasher again. Broken glass can damage your dishwasher, even if it doesn’t ruin it completely.
They can get into the components of your dishwasher like spray arms, filters, pumps, or drainage systems. This way, the particles will clog the internal parts causing issues like overflowing and lack of performance.
Besides, the abruption can block water flow, hinder proper drainage, and potentially result in water backing up in the dishwasher. Another thing is, the glass particles can scratch the dishwasher’s interior surfaces.
Let’s get to the main thing, the fear of safety. If you don’t take care of the remaining shattered glasses, they will mix into other dishes that you put in there and you might accidentally cause serious injury to yourself.
What Happens If Glass Breaks In Dishwasher?
If your glass breaks inside the dishwasher and you are not paying attention to it, here are a few things that will occur:
- Potential damage: The broken glass parts will damage the interior of the dishwasher and the components like spray arms, filters, pump, and drainage system. They may start to malfunction due to the presence of foreign material.
- Clogs And Blockages: This is more concerning. The remaining glass particles will get into the drain filter or pump, and cause them to blog. Then you will get a lack of water flow, sometimes even flooding if you try to operate the machine.
- Overflowing: When you fail to address the issue timely, the broken parts will stay stuck in the drainage area so water won’t be able to pass. As a result, you will notice an overflow of water when you try running the dishwasher.
Tips To Prevent Glasses From Breaking In The Dishwasher
Breaking glass inside the dishwasher is a big trouble. We have been through this and we don’t want anyone to go through this. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Don’t overload the dishwasher with dishes. Keep the glasses for a different cycle so they don’t come in contact with other dishes.
- If you notice any signs of damage in your glassware, avoid putting that into the dishwasher.
- Use a gentle cycle while cleaning the glasses.
- Make sure the temperature is good and you are not putting thermal stress on the glassware.
- Allow glassware to cool down gradually before washing or opt for a cooler water rinse.
- If you are trying to clean your stemware like wine glasses or champagne flutes, place the stems between the dishwasher prongs.
Explore More About The Problem
1. What happens if a glass breaks in the dishwasher?
If a glass breaks in the dishwasher, you need to clean it immediately. Depending on the severity of the mess, you can call a professional. The shattered glass can be problematic for the inner components.
2. How should tiny pieces of broken glass be picked up?
You can use a damp towel to collect the tiny pieces. Otherwise, using a potato to pick up the pieces also works wonders.
3. Can you vacuum up glass?
Yes, you can vacuum up glass from your dishwasher. However, you still need to clean the remaining particles using a damp cloth.
4. Can glass go through the dishwasher?
Yes, glass pieces can go through the dishwasher and clog the drainage system. Besides, it can even do other potential damage to the dishwasher.
When To Call The Professionals?
If you notice any serious damage inside the dishwasher, or even if it has been a big mess that you can’t clean up yourself, you need to call a professional to deal with it. Also, in the case of glass broke in dishwasher can’t find pieces, major malfunctions, such as a broken motor or electrical problem, needs to be addressed by a professional.