It is a very common problem to have a gap between the dishwasher and the countertop. It is very frustrating as it looks unsightly, makes it difficult to clean and maintain the area, and much more. So, how to fill the gap between the dishwasher and countertop?
There are a few methods that you can try to fill the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop. In this article, we will explore five different methods that you can use to fill this gap.
5 Easy Methods to Fill the Gap Between the Dishwasher and Countertop
To fill the gap between the dishwasher and countertop you can follow some simple steps to make your kitchen look better. See the mentioned 5 methods below and apply the best one in your kitchen.
Method 1: Install a panel on Dishwasher Door
One of the easiest and most effective ways to fill the gap between a dishwasher and a countertop is to install a panel. A dishwasher panel is actually a pre-cut panel that is designed to match the finish of your countertops. This is very easy to apply and increases the beauty of a kitchen.
This way is followed by professionals because it is a quick and easy solution, and it can be customized to match the existing countertop. To install a dishwasher panel kit, you will need a level, a drill, double-sided tape, a panel, a handle, and a screwdriver.
- Measure the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop to ensure that you purchase the correct size panel kit.
- Remove the existing dishwasher door panel. Here you have to remove some screws from the dishwasher door.
- Measure the new panel to make sure it will cover the dishwasher get and the gap as well.
- Add a handle to a new panel matching the color and design of your kitchen.
- Use double side tape to primarily attach the new panel with your dishwasher get to secure the measurement.
- Screw the new panel with the dishwasher door the same way you removed the build-in the panel.
Method 2: Use a Filler Strip
A filler strip is a thin strip of wood or plastic that can be stained or painted to match the color of your countertop. To fill the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop you can easily use a filler strip. This will simply make the gap invisible and give your kitchen a beautiful look. Here, you will need a measuring tape, saw, paint(optional), leveler, filler strip, glue & drill. Let’s see how can you use a filler strip to fill the dishwasher gap.
- Measure the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop to ensure that you purchase the correct size filler strip.
- Cut the filler strip to the correct length using a saw.
- Apply a coat of paint or stain to the filler strip, if desired.
- Place the filler strip into the gap, making sure that it is level.
- Secure the filler strip to the dishwasher and countertop using wood glue and a drill.
Method 3: Install a Countertop Extension
Another solution for filling the gap between a dishwasher and a countertop is to install a countertop extension. A countertop extension is a piece of countertop material that is installed on top of the dishwasher to extend the countertop surface. By doing this it can be customized to match the existing countertop and it can be used to create additional counter space. To install a countertop extension, you will need a measuring tape, leveler, countertop extension, screw, silicone gel, and saw.
Measure the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop to ensure that you purchase the correct size countertop extension.
- Cut the countertop extension to the correct shape using a jigsaw.
- Place the countertop extension on top of the dishwasher, making sure that it is level.
- Secure the countertop extension to the dishwasher using construction adhesive and screw if necessary.
- Seal the edges of the countertop extension with silicone caulk to prevent water from seeping in.
Method 4: Use a Roll of Self-Adhesive Trim
Using a Roll of Self Adhesive Trim is one of the easiest ways to fill the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop. This is a roll of flexible trim that can be cut to the desired length and applied to the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop. Let’s see how you can use Self Adhesive Trim to fill the dishwasher gap:
- Measure the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop to ensure that you purchase the correct size roll of self-adhesive trim.
- Cut the self-adhesive trim to the correct length using a ruler and a utility knife.
- Remove the backing paper from the self-adhesive trim and place it into the gap.
- Press the trim properly to make sure no gap is remaining and the adhesive is filed properly.
Method 5: Hire a Cabinet Maker
Well, if you are not good at DIY work then maybe it is better to hire a professional. Despite being a simple task, you will need a very steady hand to complete the operation properly.
In addition, a Cabinet maker knows how to deal with this type of situation. In most cases, the professional maybe do our mentioned “method 1” task to match the dishwasher door with the kitchen. And for a normal kitchen with no panel, your professional will suggest you the best method to follow.
As you can see there are several ways to fill the gap between the dishwasher and the countertop. As we mention mainly four ways to do that you may get confused about which one to follow. As every option can give a different look and depends on individual budget, you have to take this decision by yourself to choose the suitable one. However, if you have a beautiful kitchen with a panel cabinet then maybe the first method can be the best option.