A fine grilled filet mignon will make your day if you plan for a fancy dinner with your special one. The filet mignon usually comes from a small piece of beef tenderloin. It is super tender that melts into your mouth.
A filet mignon dish is one of the most expensive platters because of its softness. You cannot afford it every week if you are not freaking rich. However, you can freeze a filet mignon or whole beef tenderloin for a long time while buying them on sale.
Can you freeze filet mignon properly? This article will show you the proper guideline for freezing filet mignon.
How to freeze filet mignon
If you want to save up the filet mignon for weeks, you must store it in the refrigerator. So, you need to know the right way of freezing filet mignon. With simple few steps, you can easily store your steaks.
Directly store the frozen filet mignon
The filet mignon steaks usually are found frozen in the supermarkets. So, you do not need any extra formulation for storing them. Just bring them home and immediately store them in the freezer. Thus you can freeze filet mignon quickly.
Wrap filet mignon
You have to wrap the filet mignon to provide extra protection in most cases. If you purchase them from a butcher or grocery shop, wrapping is vital.
Moreover, your filet mignon gets freeze-burnt and smelly if you freeze it without wrapping. Follow the guidelines to know how to wrap the filet mignon –
- First, wrap the steak with parchment paper or plastic wrapping paper.
- In the second layer, wrap it with aluminum foil.
- Wrap them like wrapping a gift box with gift paper.
- Put the wrapped steaks in a plastic or freezer zipper bag.
- Press it to let the air out of it as much as possible.
- Lastly, please keep them in the refrigerator safely.
This instruction will help you keep the filet mignon fresh and moist for a long time.
Storing the filet mignon in the freeze does not need a lot of stages. However, you need to know some tips to freeze them while packing and storing.
We will provide some excellent tips that keep your filet mignon frozen better.
- It would be best to store the filet mignon at the temperature of minimum zero degrees Fahrenheit or less. The higher temperature cannot kill the harmful bacteria and yeast.
- If you want to store your filet mignon steaks for up to one year, then quickly freeze them at first. After wrapping, keep them against the freeze wall as it helps with quick freezing. However, you can place the filet mignon somewhere else after 24 hours.
- Do not wrap the filet mignon with preserved bacon; otherwise, your steaks will only last for one to three months.
- It would help if you consumed the steaks within three months. Thus you can enjoy the authentic flavor.
How to freeze cooked filet mignon
Can you freeze the filet mignon while it is cooked? It is possible to store the filet mignon in the refrigerator. Thus you can prevent wasting this luxurious meat. Freezing filet mignon in the standard refrigerator can save them three or four days. But if you are planning for a long time (two or three months), then follow this guideline –
- Wrap the cooked filet mignon with aluminum foil properly.
- Please put them in an air-tight container.
- Pour some gravy into the container to prevent the steaks from drying out.
- Close the box tightly and keep it in the regular refrigerator first for a few hours to lower the temperature.
- Finally, replace them at zero degrees or below Fahrenheit temperature in the refrigerator.
With these instructions, you can store your cooked filet mignon steak for quite a long time. However, the faster you consume, the better it tastes. So, try not to freeze them for a long time. If you bring them out from the freeze over three or four months, check them by smell and texture if it gets rotten.
In addition, eat the filet mignon steaks within two hours after unfreezing them.
How long can you freeze filet mignon?
If you properly wrap the filet mignon steak, it can last for even up to 1 year. However, try to consume it within three months to taste the best quality. Moreover, frozen filet mignon does not change the texture while freezing it properly.
However, if you wrap the filet mignon with a bacon sheet, it will only last three months. Besides, cooked filet mignon also can be kept in the refrigerator for not more than three to four months.
So, it is always better to freeze raw filet mignon if you plan to freeze it for a long time.
How to thaw filet mignon
Whenever you want to cook the frozen filet mignon, you must bring it out of the freeze and thaw it properly. Thawing filet mignon requires the same process. Typically, people use three methods to thaw any meat.
Those are defrosting in the refrigerator, the oven, and cold water.
A refrigerator is the best way to thaw the filet mignon. Although it works slowly, it can thoroughly defrost the filet mignon steak without losing a juicy and soft texture. Besides, the refrigerator method is also the healthiest way to defrost any meat.
To complete the process –
- Bring the frozen filet mignon from the freezer bag and unwrap the second layer.
- Place it on a big plate.
- Then, place the plate in the formal sector of the refrigerator.
- Please put it on the bottom line; otherwise, the juice does not drip on other food.
- You have to wait for at least 24 hours.
- Cook within three or five days after thawing it.
Cold Water Method
If you do not have enough time to defrost your steak by freezing it, you can use the cold water method. It will only take several hours. Some people may suggest thawing the filet mignon with warm water as it defrosts the steak quicker. But it cannot be a healthy process.
Follow the steps below –
- Unwrap the frozen filet mignon and put them into a zipper bag.
- Take a large bowl and place the zipper bag filled with filet mignon.
- Pour cold water into the bowl.
- Change the water every 30 minutes until it ultimately gets thawed.
- It takes a few hours to thaw your steak.
Using Microwave Oven
Although the oven method is the fastest way to thaw your filet mignon, it is the least suggested method for you. Unless you have much time, you may use your microwave to defrost the filet mignon.
Hence we will show you the safest way to thaw filet mignon in the oven.
- Bring the frozen filet mignon from the freeze and remove the aluminum foil.
- Place the steak in an oven-proof dish.
- Place it in the microwave oven.
- It would be best if your microwave had the Defrost setting. Heat the meat on this setting for a few seconds.
- Defrost the filet mignon only until it gets tender and thawed.
Buying filet mignon is always expensive. However, you can save up some money buying a whole beef tenderloin. Thus you can use beef tenderloin for a long time by storing it.
Can you freeze beef tenderloin?
The beef tenderloin comes from the cow’s loins. It does not have any bones and is a little bit fatty. But it is the most delicious and tender among the other parts of cow meat. It will remain soft and juicy even if you store it for a long time in the refrigerator.
So, you can freeze beef tenderloin with proper care.
Many people may get confused between a filet mignon and a beef tenderloin. A filet mignon is only a tiny part of beef tenderloin. So, they are not the same things. But you can purchase beef tenderloin instead of filet mignon.
At the same time, you should know about freezing beef tenderloin.
How to freeze beef tenderloin
Freezing beef tenderloin is not so different from freezing the filet mignon. You can either store beef tenderloin with its original package or wrap it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Then, put the wrapping into a zipper bag and squeeze the air from it.
After that, keep the bag in the refrigerator.
It would help if you stored the beef tenderloin at rapid freezing. We recommend setting the temperature at 28 degrees Fahrenheit, not 32 degrees. Moreover, if the temperature reaches zero degrees, it should stay like this.
Freezing beef tenderloin has excellent benefits. Some research shows that freezing any meat can increase the tenderness, although only a few times it dries out the meat’s moisture. However, the nutrition and taste of the meat remain the same.
How to freeze cooked beef tenderloin
Many of you ask if you can freeze cooked beef tenderloin. Yes, surely you can freeze beef tenderloin and any cooked steak. Freezing the cooked beef tenderloin is just as simple as the other types of steaks.
However, you have to be careful about some issues.
First of all, you have to gently wrap the cooked beef tenderloin with aluminum foil and then put them into an air-tight container. After that, please keep them in the refrigerator at a specific temperature.
But make sure that your freezer is not so full, and do not put something else over the cooked meat box. The refrigerator should have enough space for airflow.
Another thing you have to keep in mind is that the beef tenderloin has to be well-cooked. Undercooked meat is not suitable for freezing because the low temperature cannot kill the bacteria at this level.
How to defrost beef tenderloin
Defrosting beef tenderloin is much like defrosting the filet mignon. You can either defrost beef tenderloin on the freeze or defrost it in water. The best method is the slow method. To defrost beef tenderloin in the refrigerator, remove the waxed paper and place the steak on a plate.
Then, please keep it on the freeze below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. You can defrost the beef tenderloin with this slow process without losing its quality.
Unwrap the beef tenderloin and air-tight it into a plastic zipper bag for the water process. Then, take a bowl and fill up the bowl with a bag and water. Finally, leave it for 30 minutes to one hour.
After defrosting beef tenderloin, you can leave them on the freeze for approximately 3-5 days. However, never cook the meat after thawing it.
How to cook frozen beef tenderloin
You can make your day with a beef tenderloin roast or any steak. We have already shown you the storage method. After properly thawing the beef tenderloin, you can cook it in so many ways.
This article will show you cooking the frozen roast in a pan and baking it in the oven.
Cooking in a pan
- Thaw the steak either on the refrigerator method or cold water method.
- Marinate the two sides of the steak with salt and black pepper.
- Take a medium-sized pan on the stove.
- Heat the pan at medium-low temperature.
- Add two tablespoons of butter to the pan.
- Wait for a few seconds to melt the butter.
- Fry the steak for approximately 90 seconds on each side.
- You can add some minced garlic and other herbs if you want.
- Fry another few minutes on each side.
Finally, turn off your stove, and your steak meal is ready. This beef tenderloin steak spreads a pleasant buttery smell and instantly melts in your mouth.
Baking in the oven
The second best option to cook your beef tenderloin steak is to bake it in the oven without thawing it. If you have a too short time to prepare your steak meal, then you can try this recipe below –
- Heat the unwrapped frozen beef tenderloin at the Defrost setting.
- Heat the meat for only a few minutes until it gets soft.
- Take it out from the oven.
- Take an oven-proof large iron tray and brush some butter all over the tray.
- Place baking paper over the tray.
- Place it in the oven and preheat the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add salt and black pepper to one side of the steak and put it on the hot tray.
- Please keep it for one minute and apply the same process on the other side of the steak.
- Place the whole process in the oven and set the microwave timer for 30 minutes.
- Saute some onions and bacon on the pan.
- Add them with the steak when it’s ready.
Those are the primary two methods to cook your frozen steak. But not only the beef tenderloin, but you can also prepare the filet mignon steak in almost the same process.
Alternative to beef tenderloin
For some people, nothing is comparable with beef tenderloin steak. It is so soft and delicious that you want a nice beef tenderloin meal on your every holiday weekend.
However, you can try some similar meals to break this tradition. You can use different roasts as beef tenderloin substitutes. Top blade roast, top sirloin roast, rib roast, strip loin roast are the best options.
#1. How do you freeze filet mignon?
To freeze filet mignon in the right way –
Wrap the filet mignon with parchment paper.
Wrap it with aluminum foil as a second layer.
Put the wrapped filet mignon in a freezer bag.
Place the bag on the refrigerator at zero degrees Fahrenheit.
Leave some space for airflow to ensure long-term storage.
#2. Is frozen filet mignon as good as fresh?
It is always great to cook fresh meat. If you want to enjoy the fresh cooking frozen filet mignon, then try to cook it within three months after freezing it. Although you can store filet mignon for up to one year, you may not get the fresh meat over six months or more.
However, you can enjoy the frozen filet mignon like the fresh one if you properly store it in the refrigerator.
3#. How do you prepare and freeze steak?
Before freezing the steaks, you need some preparation. You have to wrap the raw steak with aluminum foil or plastic wrapping paper in two layers. Then, please put them in a zipper bag or an air-tight container.
Finally, please place them in the refrigerator at zero-degree temperature. You can quickly freeze your steak for even more than six months.
4#. How do you freeze meat properly?
You can freeze any meat instead of buying it every week. Wrap the meat with aluminum foil and put it in a zipper bag for the raw meat. Then, place the meat in the refrigerator as soon as possible. You also have to wrap it with aluminum foil and put it on an air-tight box for the cooked meat.
But you have to pour some gravy in the box to prevent drying out. You can store the cooked meat for at least three to four weeks.
5#. What is the best way to freeze beef tenderloin?
You can quickly freeze beef tenderloin for six months to one year. The easiest way to freeze beef tenderloin is to keep it in the freeze with the original package. But the best way is to wrap it properly and put it in a plastic zipper bag or air-tight box.
Store the beef tenderloin meat at not more than 28 degrees Fahrenheit temperature.
Filet mignon or beef tenderloin- both of them are expensive meats. So you need to know the proper way of freezing them unless they get rotten over time.
But can you freeze filet mignon or beef tenderloin in the right way? This article has provided all the essential tips and information to help you freeze filet mignon.