Getting a knife that has both firm sharpness and longevity is quite challenging. Specifically, our kitchen knives tend to get blunt after using them for a long time. For this reason, sharpening those knives is very important. Keeping all this in mind, I have bought a concept on how to sharpen global knives.
Global knives are such an alternative that make our kitchen tasks easier. I hope you all have a global knife in your kitchen. So this article can be a superb guide for you.
First thing first, you have to be ready with a fine sharpener. There are varieties of knife sharpener you will get. Among them choosing the right sharpener is another essential thing to consider.
Don’t worry, sharpening a global knife is not so hard. You just need to follow some traits step by step, and you will see that your job has been done successfully. So why make it any later? Let us dig into the concept below.
Versatile Japanese Global serrated knife
Particularly, Global comes with lots of serrated knives. In these knives you will get a wide variety of applications.
All in all, a serrated knife comes in great use to cut some regular objects. Like- bagels, cheese, bread, etc.
Anyways, using a serrated knife is fully dependent on your personal preferences. Especially when you make sandwiches a serrated knife is the best option for you. Furthermore, you can use a serrated knife to cut cucumbers and tomatoes.
Other than that, you will get some available Sandwich knives.
The sandwich knives contain broad blades and serrated edges to cut sandwiches precisely and quickly. Thus, serrated knives will make your task easier on that part as well.
Types of global knives for kitchen
Global knives are one of the most useful tools in the kitchen. If you see, many professionals and chefs rely on global knives to cut numerous foods. Be it peeling vegetables and fruits, carving meat, or general cuttings, global kitchen knives stand all the way apart. Indeed, these knives are very easy to hone and retain their sharpness for a long duration.
Some global knives with distinct variations are:
- Knife sets
- Cook’s/chef’s knives
- Butcher’s knives
- Steak knives
Best sharpener for global knives
Compared to any ordinary knives, global knives keep their sharpness for a longer time. Global knives come with high sharpening edges from the factory itself. Furthermore, their blade materials consist of firm fabrications with CROMOVA 18.
There are multiple stones available in the market that tends to be very handy for sharpening global knives. Such as ceramic stone, and water stone.
Those who are starters, they must go with medium grit stones to avoid risky sittings of hands. On the other hand, a medium grit stone may not be the best choice if your knife blade is too blunt. In that case, you will have to choose a rough grit stone.
Other than ceramic and water stones, there are more sharpeners available in the market. They are- minosharp water sharpener, steel rod, diamond rod, whetstones, water wheel sharpeners, ceramic rods, and many more.
To get the best outcomes from a global knife, ceramic stones and water stones will be the best substitutes.
Diamond and ceramic rods
Suppose you are in an intermediate level of sharpening a global knife. At that time, a diamond or ceramic rod may not be a perfect alternative to sharpen. Moreover, it is important to keep our knives well-maintained on a regular basis. On the other hand, sharpening your knives periodically will make your global knife last longer.
People use the traditional steels to sharpen global knives mostly. In the same way, they also use diamond and ceramic rods without any extra regulations.
Well, diamond rods are harder than ceramic rods. In fact, they bring a knife’s edge back faster than the ceramic rods.
Ceramic rods are prone to breakage when they are dropped or hit somewhere. Whereas, diamond rods break so easily even after they are hit in times of uncertainty.
No doubt, ceramic rods give a finer edge to the knives. If you want your global knife to stand out with a ceramic rod, use it regularly for sharpening. Besides, there are available replacements to purchase as well.
Avoid using traditional steels that have fabrication of other materials. Otherwise, your knives will start to get damaged afterwards.
Note: Using ceramic steel continuously may cause discolour in them. The main cause of having such discolour is the build-up and residue that form in a ceramic steel’s pores. As a way of prevention you can use hot soapy water. Alongside, a scourer works superb to keep our global knives neat and clean.
Water wheel sharpeners
As mentioned before, diamond and ceramic rods are not a suitable choice to use for sharpening in intermediate skills. For now, you must maintain your knife to avoid the hindrances and make it work for a long time.
Most GLOBAL retailers use user-friendly devices to sharpen their knives proficiently. Some of them are- GLOBAL, Minosharp plus, Minosharp. These sharpeners work like ceramic water sharpeners, i.e. hand held. Even if you have zero skill or experience on using these sharpeners, no problem will occur for sure.
By following a simple technique, you can sharpen your global knife’s blade easily with the help of ceramic wheels. Just fill your reservoir with some clean water and run the blade forward and backward a few times.
How to sharpen a global knife with ceramic stones and water stones
To start off with a knife sharpening tool, a medium grit stone would be sufficient. Among them, ceramic stones and water stones are the commendable ones. In turn, our knives’ blades tend to get blunt after continuous use. To cope with such bearings, you need to go with a rough grit stone.
Anyways, ceramic stones and water stones are not like each other. A ceramic stone needs to be put in water in order to soak properly. It takes only 3 to 5 minutes to soak. Similarly, you need to soak a water stone in water, but for a little longer time, i.e. 10 to 15 minutes. Thus, your stone will absorb all the moistures in a click.
To get fast sharpening, ceramic stones are better than water stones. The reason is, ceramic stones are harder than water stones. Hence, sharpening your knife will be done in a click.
Ceramic stones last longer as they never develop any grooves or valleys. Whereas, waterstones tend to produce grooves and valleys in knives.
According to the type and size of your stone, you can go through the steps below:
- Soak your stone in water for a definite time before you start sharpening.
- Hold the global knife in such a way that it meets your ceramic stone in a precise angle. Well, the accurate angle to sharpen a knife is 10 to 15 degrees. Afterwards, push your knife forth and back across the knife. Try to stroke the global knife in a smooth and steady way.
- Maintain the same angle you have been using from the first stroke against the stone. Conversely, the sound that comes from the strokes will make you more certain about the angle.
- Repeat the above steps on the other side of your knife blade. Also, keep stroking your knife’s blade until it gets sharpened completely. Make sure not to have any burrs on any side of your knife blade.
- When you sharpen your knife blade for a longer time, some wet powder will start to appear. Thus, it would be better not to wash the residues from your knife blade or wipe it with a cloth. Though these residues appear unsightly, that will make your knife sharper than ever.
- After you sharpen your knife blade, take some lukewarm water and wash your knife into it. Next, use a towel to dry it instantly.
How to sharpen a knife with a steel rod
We mostly see that sharpening a global knife removes the metal fibres from knife blades. However, honing a knife will not let you face these problems. Whenever you will run your blade through a steel rod, that will help your knife’s metal fibres to stay aligned. Also, the edge of your knife will remain straight and provide a smooth sharpening.
If you do not want your knife to turn dull, do have an experience of a steel rod to hone it. Now let us go through some key points of honing a knife with a steel rod.
- Firstly, you need to slice your knife against the steel. For this reason, hold your knife and carve the turkey at an angle of 20 degrees. Alongside, you need to make sure of applying a little pressure when you sweep across your entire blade
- Go through the surface of your blade and bring downwards of the counter.
- Repeat the above steps on the other side of your knife. Anyways, you must continue the strokes several times on both alternative sides.
- Never grind your knife hard against the steel. Moreover, slapping your knife’s blade against the steel can result in dangerous effects too.
- When your blade moves across the steel, you will hear the sound of a light ringing.
- After a time being you will see that honing your blade is no more effective. The reason is, knife blades get degraded from continuous usages. For instance, using a blade for several months may make your knife blunt as well. If you face such hassles in your knife, use a sharpening tool or a sharpening stone
Global knives cromova 18 stainless steel
Cromova 18 stainless steel is one of the best steels that are found in global knives. Besides, the mixture of a cromova 18 stainless steel contains some essential components. Like- chromium, vanadium, and molybdenum. Nevertheless, there are more combinations that vary in different cromova 18 steels.
Since the global knives of cromova 18 stainless steel retains sharpness, they confer easy cuttings.
Use whetstones to keep your Cromova 18 Stainless Steel global knife thin in the edges. Indeed, other sharpeners, like- minosharp water sharpener, steel rod, diamond rod, water wheel sharpeners, ceramic rods, etc are not ineffective as well.
All Global Knives in the market are made of Cromova 18 Stainless Steel. Meanwhile, the Cromova 18 Stainless Steel ensures more sharpness than any ordinary steel. Even the forged knives fail in front of the global knives when it comes to thin edges and sharpness.
How to sharpen global knives with whetstone
Unless you take proper care of your Global knife, it may lead to certain damages. Particularly, the blades of Stamped Global have razor sharp edges which have been sharpened from the factory. Alongside, a global knife whetstone will not let you to struggle with the thin edges.
The definite angle of sharpening to maintain a knife ranges from 10 degrees to 15 minutes. By maintaining this angle your knife’s edge will always remain thinner. But make sure to use some precautions before sharpening your knife.
We will discuss the precautions later. Before that, let us go through the steps of sharpening a global knife using whetstones.
- Soak your stones in water for a definite time. It would be better to soak the stones for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Hold your knife in such a way that it meets your whetstone in an angle of 10 to 15 degrees. Then push your knife’s blade back and forth within some steady strokes. Remember to maintain the same angle that you will be using from your first stroke.
- There is a key technique to know if you are maintaining the same angle or not. The sound you will be getting from the stroke of back and forth will make you alert of your strokes.
- Repeat the above steps of stroking on both sides of your blades. Again, go from one side of your knife blade to the other until it gets sharpened. Also, make sure there are no burrs on any side of your knife.
How often do you need to sharpen global knives?
Global knives are like ordinary knives. If you see, their edges are razor sharp because of being sharpened in 10 to 15 degrees. For this reason global knives’ edges are too thin.
Before we go to the abstract of the sharpening period, let us first know the solutions of a global knife. According to GLOBAL, you must use magnetic wall racks, Global knife blocks, knife cases, or knife docks.
Though global knives have thinner edges, we cannot avoid their maintenance. Or else, we could end up losing the optimum sharpness.
Try to collect some ceramic stones or water stones in advance. The reason is, water stones and ceramic stones are highly effective to sharpen the edges of global knives. However, a global knife is not required to be sharpened every day. This knife can keep its sharpness intact even if you sharpen it periodically.
In between your stone sharpening, use a diamond or ceramic rod to keep the edges aligned. Even though you do not sharpen your global knife, which will not leave any side effects either
How to sharpen global knives with minosharp
Global knives are one of the most sharpened knives you will find in the market. Although their edges are very thin, they require some periodic maintenance. In that case, a minosharp knife sharpener would be a great alternative.
Well, many of us do not know the exact steps of using a minosharp to sharpen our global knives. Let us not make any further late and get to the steps directly.
- Dip your sharpener in clean water so that it can wash your knife simply while sharpening.
- Run your global knife with the coarse dial and run it through its fine dial. Remember not to put extreme pressure in your knife.
- Use the white wheel of your knife and try to draw with it about 7 to 8 times. As a result, you will get a coarse grind from your knife. And for a fine grind, draw with the pink wheel of your knife about 7 to 8 times.
- Take some lukewarm water, wet your knife there and dry it with a towel.
Tips and techniques
Usually we hone knives to keep our knife’s edge sharp and straight. At that time, we also work on grinding our Knife’s blade when we sharpen them.
The reason why honing a blade is important is because of the fine tuning. Likewise, a blade of a global knife requires fine tuning in order to function properly. Although there are numerous ways to hone a knife, all ways use the same element.
Make a section across your honing steel and draw your entire blade there. Do not forget to maintain an angle of 20 degrees as well. Since your blade will cut around the steel, use a bit of pressure there.
Best global steel knives
Most apparently, many companies and leading brands are offering outstanding steel knives. Among them, some of the best global knives are catching the eye of consumers.
Here, I am going to show you some first-class global steel knives below.
- Global Ikasu Knife Block Set
- Global Takumi Knife Walnut Block Set
- Global Synergy Knife Block
- Global Teikoku Knife Set 5 Piece
- Global Katana Knife Block Set
Global steak knives
A global steak knife is something you will need badly to cut your yummy steaks.
When we get our steaks on the plate, they compel us to struggle with cuttings. For this reason, we end up losing the luscious juices from our steaks.
Don’t worry, a global steak knife can help you with your steaks. There are some amazing global steak knives available in the market. Some of them are-
- J.A. Henckels Zwilling Steak Knife Set: Best on budget
- Messermeister Avanta Steak Knife Set: Best Serrated
- Trudeau Languiole Steak Knife Set: Best for straight edge
- Henkels Classic Steak Knife Set: Best Overall
- Zwilling Gourmet Steak Knife Set: Best for gifting
Best global butcher’s knives
For dressing or butchering animal carcasses, a global butcher’s knife is all you need. Whenever you will be cutting large meats to small pieces, make sure you have the best butcher’s knife in your hand. Among them, the leading products are:
- Dexter Russell 8″ Butcher Knife: Best for beginners
- Victorinox Butcher Knife: Best for ergonomic design
- Global Heavyweight Butcher’s Knife:
- Mercer Culinary Edge Cimeter: Most durable
- Dalstrong Butcher’s Cimitar Knife: Best for sturdiness
- Jero Butcher 7″ Carving Knife: Best Overall
- Wüsthof Classic Butcher Knife: Best for value
Best global cook’s/ chef’s knives
Without a chef’s knife our kitchen tasks usually remain incomplete. On the same side, global chef’s knives are offering tremendous cutting of any dish. Some of the best global chef’s knives are:
- Mac Mighty MTH-80
- Tojiro DP F-808
- Wüsthof Classic Cook’s Knife
- Victorinox Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife
Caring and cleaning global knives
Even though cutlery is a high-quality object, it always tends to be a delicate tool. So, make sure you are treating your global knives with proper care. As a result, your knife will keep repaying you a nice experience of utilization.
Afterwards, you need to clean your knives with some hot soapy water and dry it with a towel. Again, a magnetic wall would be better to mount as it makes knives more accessible.
Before, you go through the steps of caring and cleaning, make sure to consider some points. Here are some suggestions below that you must avoid while cleaning your knife.
- Do not put your knife in a dishwasher. If you put your knife in a dishwasher ever, then the pressurized water bumps in your knife
- Remember not to drop your knife in a sink or never mix it with other pots or dishes. Or else, your knife will get rusted and get damaged in the edges.
- A silverware drawer is also dangerous for knives to make them blunt and deteriorate. Alongside, your blade will get dull and may cause unwanted cuts too. At that point, try to get a sleeve for all of your global knives. You can put them in a drawer and protect your knives for a long time.
- Cutting something on a plate using a global knife is not a good idea. A cutting board can do a better job. So use a cutting board whenever you will be using a global knife to cut fruits or anything.
- Hard surfaces, like- ceramic plates are not a good option to use for cutting any food. They are the main reasons why global knives become dull. So, avoid using hard objects that are not good for a global serrated knife.
Maintaining global knives
As said before, you must wash your global knives with some warm water and make them dry with a towel.
To keep your knife’s sharp edges always up to the mark, avoid putting them on a dishwasher.
Generally, Cromova 18 stainless steels get affected from powerful detergents and extreme heat. Meanwhile, we get to see such types of exposures in dishwashers. Since Global knives are made of Cromova 18 Stainless Steel, their blades will get severely damaged from dishwashers.
Global knives are prone to rusts if they are not maintained and cleaned properly. So, try to store your knives in a safe place and of course do some periodic sharpenings in them.
There are ample amounts of stainless steel cleaners in the market. If you want, you can use them to clean your knife’s blade regularly.
Storage of global knives
Because of having extreme sharp edges, global knives are risky for unwanted cuttings. Hence, users should store them carefully. Also, make sure that your children or offsprings are far away from these knives.
Well, the GLOBAL recommends some handy substitutes to use. Such as- knife docks, magnetic wall racks, knife racks, knife cases or rolls, and many more. Furthermore, Global offers varieties of solutions to keep their knives in a good condition.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best way to sharpen a global knife?
Some best tools to sharpen a global knife are ceramic stones and water stones. In fact, the GLOBAL highly recommends using these two stones for sharpening their knives.
However, you can use a diamond rod or a GLOBAL fine ceramic in between sharpening your stones. As a result, it will be easier to keep your knives’ edges always aligned.
2. What angle should I sharpen my Global knives?
Global knives are actually factory sharpened. And the perfect angle of sharpening these global knives lies between 10 degrees and 15 degrees. If you sharpen your global knives with this prescribed angle, you will end up with a thinner edge. Although these angle helps us to have a precise sharpening, there could be some risky situations too.
So make sure you are prepared with some precaution beforehand.
3. How do you sharpen a global knife?
Here are some key points which can help you to sharpen your global knife instantly.
Soak the stone for 10 to 15 minutes with which you will be using to sharpen your knife
Hold your knife in such a way that its blade comes in contact with the stone at an angle of 10 to 15 degrees. Then stroke your knife’s blade with the stone by pushing it back and forth. Make sure to maintain the same angle on each stroke.
Whenever you see your stone get dried, just sprinkle some water on it and keep sharpening.
After you are done with sharpening, wash your knife with warm water and dry it with a towel.
4. What angle should global knives be sharpened at?
As mentioned before, global knives are sharpened at a definite angle. Alongside, you should make sure that your every stroke combines the same angle. And that angle sharpening should be between 10 to 15 degrees. Especially when you sharpen a global knife, try to maintain this approximate angle every time.
5. What knife sharpener do professionals use?
Most professionals use whetstones to sharpen their global knives. Mainly the professional chefs use global knives and engage in various tools to sharpen them. However, whetstones work more effectively than manual and electric sharpeners.
If you see, a whetstone gives higher ease while honing blades and maintains a firm control.
6. Are global ceramic knife sharpening stones any good?
Yes, a global ceramic knife is surely worth using. It is not only great to use, but also easier to use. Besides, your knife will look newer and sharper than before. Well, using a global ceramic knife sharpening stone is not hard either. You just need to stroke your blade with this stone, maintaining a definite angle, i.e. 10 to 15 degrees. Try not to stroke differently whenever you stroke the blade several times.
7. Do Global serrated knives need to be sharpened?
GLOBAL recommends sharpening their Global serrated knives periodically. To get best results, use a ceramic stone or water stone. Nonetheless, a diamond or ceramic rod would be better to use in between your stone sharpening. Hence, the edges of your knife will remain aligned every time. Well, it will not be a severe problem if you do not sharpen your Global serrated knives at all.
All being well, we got to know many essential steps of sharpening a global knife. Before that, we need to be concerned about how to sharpen global knives. Alongside, global knives acquire firm materials as they are made from CROMOVA 18. And we know CROMOVA 18 Stainless Steel provides stern fabrication and does not make the edges dull so easily.
Those who want a sharp razor knife must go for a global knife. Another reason is, global knives maintain their edges sharp for a long time. Therefore, you can stay tension free after you acquire a global knife for your daily activities.
Summing up, we all must take care of our knives to keep them workable. The above guide will help you in your process.